John Bednarz, P.C. | Divorce & Family Law Attorney
View Practice Areas
Relax and meet John

Posts tagged "relocation"

Child custody modification and relocation in Arizona-Part I

As Phoenix, Arizona residents would agree, divorce becomes inherently more complicated when children are involved. While spouses can look forward to a better future ahead, children are sometimes left feeling insecure, believing that parents should remain together and live under the same roof. While always keeping the best interests of the child in mind, a court often orders one parent to take custody of a child and orders the other parent to pay child support.

Have questions about relocation? We may be able to help

Last week's blog post discussed relocation in the child custody context. In addition to struggling understand the complex legalities of these situations, you may find the issue heated and leaving you unsure of what to do. Even if you have custody of your child, you may need to move for a new job or a career opportunity, or an elderly loved one may need you to move to help take care of them. You probably don't want to leave your child behind. On the flip side, you may not want your former spouse to move away with your child. This could threaten the bond you have with your child and affect your ability to see him or her on a regular basis.

Can I move without consequence if I have custody of my child?

Divorce can bring a whole host of legal issues to your doorstep. You might be forced to confront difficult property division issues, child support problems, and child custody disputes. Even once these matters are settled, they can rear their ugly head back into your life at inopportune times. Therefore, it is important that you know the law and acquire legal help when needed so that you can protect your rights.

Arizona child custody bill voted down in state legislature

Recently, a bill in the Arizona legislature affecting divorced parents wishing to move was voted down in the House. Currently, when the custodial parent, often the parent with the children most of the time, wants to move out of Arizona or more than 100 miles away, she or he is required to notify the other parent, called the non-custodial parent. Sometimes, court approval is necessary prior to moving. The proposed bill sought to shorten the geographical distance, so that a move more than 10 miles away would require the custodial parent to give a 45-day notice to the non-custodial parent. As with current law, the bill includes instances where court approval would also be necessary.